Existing Member?

Travels

Day 39 (8-12): Chile Los Gaviotas

CHILE | Thursday, 12 August 2010 | Views [365]

- As weather.com predicted, I was blessed with the sun.

- Walked around the farm and watched pigs, cows, sheep and ducks roaming around the grassland. Headed up a little trail behind the farm house that led to 'El Mirador', a point on the hill which offered a great view of the lake front, the mountains and the volcanos. It was a spectacular view in every direction. I also walked down to the lake and attempted to hike along the Rio Gaviotas (according to the map, there is a trail), only to discover relatively quickly that there were all these fences/gates cutting off the path along the river. Also a failed attempt to walk along the lakefront as I encountered a stream too high to cross. (Supposing in the summer when the stream is low, one can walk along the lakefront from the `ferry station` to the cabin in 3 to 4 hours)

- In the evening, Tolomin (the husband) showed me the new house they were building, and I met Juan and Rudy (the two carpenters) the first time. I also became his little assistant as he cut up log for the wood-burning heater and herd the sheep back into the stable.

- After a chill day, I craved for some action tomorrow and Edith recommended a hike to the lagoon, approximately 2 hours from the cabin. That set my plan for tomorrow.

About cee_402


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.