Existing Member?

Travels

Day 35 (8-8): Chile Rapa Nui - Santiago

CHILE | Sunday, 8 August 2010 | Views [376]

- One person was noticably absent from the breakfast table in the morning - Bob. None of us knew if he was back, and if so, when he came back.

- Bob was one who mentioned to us about the uniqueness of Easter Island's mass service (Rapa Nui tradition fusing with Christian doctine), guess he wouldn´t be joining us for the 9 am Mass. After breakfast, Paul, Hank and I headed over to the church - it was packed. No doubt there were more than a few tourists inside, but the majority of attendees were locals. To me, the way the mass conducted was similar to that of the Eastern Orthodox. On various occasions, instead of delivering speeches, priests sang sermons (in a monotone fashion) and attendees responded alike. It was an eye-opening experience. But since I didn´t know the songs and more importantly I didn´t understand the language (in Rapa Nui language), it started getting monotonous. Slipped out at 10 before the mass ended and walked along the coast one last thing before I left.

- Back at the hostel Bob was still nowhere to be seen. We knocked at his door with no response. Right as Natalie and myself were heading out to the aiport, Bob popped his head out of the room. Finally - we found him! On our way to the airport, he told us about the great time he had and the wonderful people he met at the bar yesterday. The party did not start until midnight and he came back at 5 in the morning. Sounded like he had a good time.

- The guy sitting next to me on the flight was Bruce, a history teacher in college and a brain tumor survivor. We chatted for the entire duration and the flight did not feel like 5 hrs at all. Hearing his life/death story made me feel stronger about the decision to travel, to experience life and my goal to develop a more positive/appreciative attitude towards life.

- At the Santiago airport, Bob, Natalie and I parted ways. Bob is heading directing to Valpa, Natalie made reservation at a hostel at Provincia District (and heading to Valpa tomorrow), and I walked back to the only hostel I have stayed at Santiago - Hostel Tales.

About cee_402


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.