Existing Member?

Travels

Day 34 (8-7): Chile Rapa Nui

CHILE | Saturday, 7 August 2010 | Views [329]

- We started our routine of the day at breakfast. The weather was not the greatest today - it actually looked like it would rain. Depending on the water temperature, Natalie may try out scuba-diving/surfing; Bob was going to take the day easy. After yesterday´s crash, Paul and I decided that it would be better to take a cab to the trailhead of Volcan Rano Aroi.

- Our cab driver (Rodrigo) was super cool. On our way there, he advised on things to check out on the island and also taught us some basic Rapa Nui expressions: maururu (thank you), nene (delicious), iorana (hello) (These were all that I recalled). After learning I was from the States, he mentioned he is traveling to Utah in September. Hmm ... of all places why Utah? Turned out he is a Mormon and there is this huge event happening in September. Easter Island is definitely more religiously diverse than I imagined.

- Rain started falling as we started our hike. Not really heavy, but enough to get us pretty wet. Nevertheless none of us thought of turning back. After reaching Volcan Rano Aroi, we decided to explore a little more before taking another trail down to Aku Akiv. We ended up losing the intended trail, crafting (most of) our own trail and found ourselves on the main road leading to the Anakena beach. We hiked 6 hours over to the northern coast of the Island. Throughout the walk, we noticed rock configurations that looked like remains of villages and came across lava tube caves hidden under trees or bushes (I crawled into one). It could totally be our imagination, but it helped us build a mental picture of what life was like back in the days.

- We were pretty exhausted by the time we reached the main road. Since our guesthouse is all the way on the opposite side of the island, we figured we need to somehow find a cab or hitchhike back. As we started walking, a pickup sped by and I put my thumb up - miraculously the pickup pulled up a couple feet in front of us. It was a family coming returning from their fishing trip, and they gestured us to ride in the back. Never thought it would be so easy and smooth - Chileans are officially the nicest people on earth. On the way, we passed by the location where Paul crashed yesterday.

- We met Hank, a new member of the family back at the hostel. In the evening, the group (sans Bob) had a round-table chat with vine, cheese and biscuits. We talked about movies, music, politics, travel etc. Bob is leaving tomorrow (same as myself and Natalie) and couldn´t wait to check out the bars and clubs around the area. He is the oldest among the group,. But when it comes to partying, he is the one!

About cee_402


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.