Existing Member?

The Big O.E An epic adventure across the world, backpacker style :)

Living the High Life on the Isle of Wight

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 13 August 2007 | Views [1231]

Signalling cannons at the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes

Signalling cannons at the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes

After a month the novelty of working in surroundings that are straight out of Pride and Prejudice, where money is no issue, has not worn off. Stuff is always happening and things are always changing. Now we don't even bat an eyelid when, as we are dishing out dinner for 14, we are told that we "might have a few (6) extras". At the other end of the spectrum, last night we had a planned for a supper of bouillabaisse for 12 that progressively eroded over the afternoon. It finally ended up being postponed until tomorrow, as everyone was going to be out.

The Sheldons are really nice though and we are enjoying ourselves here. It doesn't really feel like a job as we are doing stuff that we'd be doing at home anyway. Changing plans, catering for diabetic/vegetarian needs, slicing tops off fingers with the peeler, and late finishes do make things interesting at times. But when you are treated like part of the family, helping them through the multiple bottles of French Red that is older than you are at supper times, you can't really complain. What's more, with no living expenses and the current NZ/UK exchange rate, our disposable income is about the same as it was in NZ!

On our days off we've got free use of a car to go exploring the island. There is so much beautiful scenery. The massive chalk cliffs by the Needles at the western tip of the island look so dramatic against the deep blue sea and the green fields. Equally as picturesque is the thatched village of Brightstone, the maze of tiny hedge-rowed country roads, the old church on the hill at Brook, the stepped coastline at St. Catherine's Point, and the Yar river on our door step.

Last week was Cowes week. Fortunately for us it was a rather quiet week in the house with only two guests and everyone out all day on the water. We managed to get over to watch the racing on a couple of days from the  Royal Yacht Squadron lawn (courteousy of our employers) which was right in front of the start/finish lines and very very posh (read: Tattinger all round at 11am, marvellous!). On Friday night we took the launch round to watch the fireworks from the water. Dave and Anita came down from London for the weekend, and arrived just in time for the display which we watched from our front row seats on the bow of the boat.

We've been asked to stay on for another month and they want us back again at Christmas.

Tags: Adventures

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.