Existing Member?

My thoughts about . . .

a dinner invitation

CHINA | Saturday, 11 August 2007 | Views [744]

The week I left Wuhan I had dinner at my student's home. I was just half- looking forward to it but in the end, it was a great time. I welcomed the special invitation into someone's home but I know how tiring it can be to NOT understand a whole evening's conversation. For years, it happened to me in Italy! Why would it be different in China?

Well, it was. Sally (the student), her classmate (Janice) and Sally's brother (Chad) acted as constant interpretors as Sally's mom spoke to me. The meal was delicious. Sally's mother is a good cook and went out of her way to make lots of special things-- 3 or 4 vegetable dishes, a whole fish and special traditional breads. If that wasn't enough they gave me a gift too.

The best part of the eve was when Sally's mother made us stand up and imitate her moves.  She showed us ways to relieve stress and tension. She is very much in to feng shui and traditional Chinese medicine.  She even made me a list of vitamins/herbal remedies for me to take.  I left that evening feeling so good and upbeat, thinking I am leaving Wuhan on an upbeat.  Their sincerity and warmth were heartwarming. 

Tags: family

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.