Existing Member?

My thoughts about . . .

DVDs

CHINA | Monday, 6 August 2007 | Views [811] | Comments [4]

these are so inexpensive! and when my student bargained for me, the price went even lower--from cheap to dirt cheap in a 15 second exchange of words.

I bought American TV shows. I can easily rent dvds in Rome but not the TV shows, just movies. I can't wait til I get home to lounge on the sofa as I hear Will & Grace with their real voices. 

DVDs are sold on the street in packets with 3 or 4 seasons in one package. I actually bought 8 seasons (in one package) of Will and Grace which was on just 5 dvds. That cost me 20 rmb which is equal to $3/€2! Yes, you read that correctly. Granted, the quality isn't the best but American humour is in the witty dialogue. For 3 bucks, I'll squint a little;)

Some nights ago when I was holed up in my room, staying close to the bathroom and missing out on a banquet organized by the Chinese English teachers, I consoled myself by ripping open "Ugly Betty" and popping it into my laptop. 

In between "runs" to the bathroom, I watched almost 2 seasons of it before I realized the time. I also realized that I better buy some more dvds if I am going to end up watching them all here in between my bouts of "Mao's revenge."

Tags: Shopping

Comments

1

Carol,
you poor thing. sorry about the intestinal upset.

how cool to have all those shows. i hope you got grey's anatamy too. while i was at your house i was amused to watch some of the more recent american shows with their italian voices. it surely isn't the same.

hope you're better by now.

  sharon Aug 10, 2007 10:48 AM

2

Hi Zia Carol! I hope the rest of your trip is great!
TTYL
♥ Natalie

  Natalie Aug 11, 2007 12:57 AM

3

Darling, you realize you are purchasing counterfeit mndse, don't you??? That's basically like being an accomplice to the crime.
For what it's worth.

  TUCCI Aug 11, 2007 11:31 PM

4

yeah, thailand is the same... i bought thirty dvds home..
so far i have seen - i guess five of em. maybe four.
you can watch em if you want...
the departed -
the persuit of happyness - will smith and son
music and lyrics. hugh grant love story
no reservations. catherine zeta jones..
shrek 3

  debbie Aug 31, 2007 2:29 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.