Existing Member?

My thoughts about . . .

looking for a bargain

CHINA | Saturday, 11 August 2007 | Views [557] | Comments [3]

 

China is not what I expected. Wuhan and Beijing are just like any other metropolitan cities in North America but with a lot more neon lighting. There are tons of shopping malls with all the same products you'll find in the U.S.

A few nights ago I wondered around an upscale air conditioned mall. For a while, I forgot where I was until a sales clerk spoke to me in Chinese and pulled me out of my trance. I assumed she asked if I needed help as I eyed the luxurious sheets and duvet covers. I don't like mall shopping (and the prices that go with it) in the States and now I can say the same thing for China. I really do like that air conditioning, though.

After leaving the mall, I walked along a main street which is lined with shops on both sides. That is more my style—hunting for a bargain. Oddly enough, I had money to spend but found nothing I wanted to buy. Don't misunderstand. There were tons of stores but nothing caught my eye until I walked into an optical shop. I bought a pair of prescription glasses which set me back 12 E or $17. Did I mention that things are inexpensive? Yes, things are cheap when you are converting to US dollars and they are bargain basement when converting into Euro. Hurrah! I finally have the right currency at the right time. ( I mean Euro, now)

I decided to end the eve by treating myself to Pizza Hut which is considered pricey. But as soon as I was told there would be a 20 minute wait, I thought, no way am I waiting for this when I can go around the corner and spend 2 euro on dumplings.

Tags: Shopping

Comments

1

Did you know that dumplings are the only food on the planet that is found in virtually every country in its own little way?
xoxo

  Tucci Aug 11, 2007 11:30 PM

2

Dear Carol,
Thanks for your informative reports. We are leaving in a few days and will spend 5 months (fall semester) teaching at Central China Normal University (I teach French) in an exchange with Georgia Southern. You have answered a number of our questions. We will have an apartment on campus, and will try to see everything. I wonder how much the night train to Beijing cost? Is it cheaper than the plane?
It is hitting 100 daily here in south GA so I guess we are ready for the weather.
David

  David Seaman Aug 13, 2007 4:22 AM

3

Hi Carol,
Are you home yet or do you leave next week?

I want to see a photo of your glasses. Are the styles there similiar to those in Europe and the US? What a steal, not a bargain.

I'm going to miss your blogs and I'd love to taste a real dumpling from china. this will make the chinese food in Italy even more disgusting that you thought before you left now that you've had the real thing.

Safe travels home. Can't wait to chat with you about it all.

baci

  sharon Aug 13, 2007 11:07 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.