Existing Member?

My thoughts about . . .

My WAY

SPAIN | Monday, 15 June 2009 | Views [492]

Frank said (or should I say, sang) it first, I did it my way. And that is how the Camino/St James Way is done—your way, my way, his way, her way. There is no right way. After four days, I am no expert on the way to do the Way. Talking, observing and listening I have come to understand that any way you do it, it's fine. It's your Way and it is a completely individual choice.

I am doing what is referred to as “Camino Light”. I am carrying a day pack and I started in Sarria. My backpack is light. I carry just the daily essentials--water, rain gear, camera, cash etc. Every day, I have my suitcase sent ahead to my next destination. Another thing is the starting point. In order to get the final Compostela, it is necessary for walkers to get stamps along the last 100km. Sarria is 115km from Santiago. Hence, a typical starting point for the “lightweights”

The reasons for doing the Way are as varied as the starting points, number of kilometers per day, number of kilograms carried on one's back and number of stops. Individual decisions are the order of the Way.

No matter which way you do it, all along the Way, you hear two frequent words.  Cyclists, walkers and lightweights too wish each other a ”Buen Camino.”

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.