Existing Member?

My thoughts about . . .

Up Up and aWAY

SPAIN | Sunday, 14 June 2009 | Views [416] | Comments [2]

This morning leaving the hotel, I ran into another American that I had met yesterday. I was about to suggest walking together but then I remembered my decision. When I woke up this morn, I decided to do today's 15km on my own, giving me time to think, reflect, soul search, find inspiration, etc etc etc.

Well, after obsessing about that damn camera of mine for at least the first 5km of my walk, I remembered I was supposed to be pensive and reflective . . .not obsessive.

Along the route, I have seen scads of these unusual structures. They are narrow rectangular boxes that sit very high off the ground. (camera acting up so not sure if I have a photo) The first ones I saw were very ornate and decorated with religious symbols. Could they be some kind of tomb for pilgrims who perished along the way?? I do not tend to have an overactive imagination but I couldn't come up with anything else. So, just when I started reflecting (about what I am not sure) on my walk, I noticed that one of them was open! And it was full of corn. Mystery solved. The structure is the Galician version of a silo. Considering this part of the Way is through farmland, it makes sense that this rainy region has a high rise silo.

As I marveled and snapped pics, an Austrian arrived and did the same thing. The next kilometers were spent chatting with him. He stopped off at a cafe along the way and I continued on, assuming I would tackle my thoughts. Instead, I had to tackle a couple of uphill climbs. When I round a bend and see an incline, my only thought is to get up it.

Back home in Rome, I would go about 30 minutes out of my way just so I wouldn't have to walk uphill (and I live in Monteverde!) Here there is no choice. There is nowhere to go but up. In the end, I make it up each hill, sweaty and breathless but also satisfied and surprised.

Tomorrow I have 20km ahead of me. I should be able to find some time for reflection.. that is if there aren't many uphill climbs.

Comments

1

I'm glad you're blogging. I'm really enjoying your posts. Tried calling you at Pension Rua. Oh yea, non hablo espanol. Couldn't understand a word. Guess two years of high-school Spanish doesn't cut it. Comunque, me gusta el blog. Muy bien.

  cheryl Jun 15, 2009 1:04 AM

2

Enjoyable reads Carol!!

  Mary Anne Jun 15, 2009 4:59 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.