Existing Member?

My thoughts about . . .

"One" WAY

SPAIN | Monday, 15 June 2009 | Views [455] | Comments [2]

A month or so before leaving, I was a little apprehensive about walking the Way alone. Once I got all of those “what if” questions out of my mind, I was fine with my decision. Now, that I am here, I see there would be no other way for me but to go it alone.

You can go your own pace, stop when you want, continue on when you want, basically do exactly what you want and when with no pressure to accommodate another's pace.

Someone I met who is walking the entire 750km echoed my thoughts. She had started off in France with a friend and within their second day, they parted amicably.  They decided each had her own agenda.

You see it when you chat with others on the Way. You start to slow down or the other stops to take a picture, or in my case, when there is an incline—each goes at their own pace and drops off maybe saying goodbye or see you later but with no pressure to keep the same gait.

I like my own company enough that I could walk for hours without talking to anyone. There are, however, lots of people around. So, if you feel like chit-chatting, there are many opportunities. You just have to hold back a while and sooner or later, another pilgrim will come along...but then who knows if that person wants to talk!:-)

Comments

1

Ah, yes, the advantages of solo travel!

  anna Jun 15, 2009 11:15 PM

2

hey Carol! ohMyGoodness where R-u? this sounds GREAT!! I'm so glad u sent the blog - will email u.

  AML Jun 15, 2009 11:33 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.