Existing Member?

World Trip 2011

Part 3. Baja Norte, Mexico.

MEXICO | Wednesday, 22 June 2011 | Views [437]

When we left Las Vegas for the second time, heading to Los Angeles and then San Diego, D had a bit of a meltdown checking the finances.  So, we decided not to make a big deal out of L.A., we skipped the Hollywood sign, the walk of Fame, and the crowded polluted waves in search of the border.  We did spend a few days preparing for crossing the border in San Diego where we gathered supplies, auto parts, water, and fuel so that we felt prepared.  Amazingly, crossing the border was easy...maybe too easy.  Although we pulled over for a Mexican border patrol to search the van, he didn't seem too bothered.  A few questions and we were on our way to getting lost in Tijuana.  Yes, that's right, instead of going straight we went left and were well on our way into the only place we wanted to avoid...luckily we did the smart thing and turned around, came back the way we came and found the correct road.  Follow the fence...so, we made our way south, feeling excited but still nervous.  We did not want to stop until we made it to our intended destination, San Miguel...which was sketchy anyway.  Little did we know.  We rocked up to our campground and were surprised but not really that it was actually a big patch of dirt with nothing in it and no one else around until later that night.  On a Friday night in San Miguel, apparently the locals come out to scare the tourists...into lack of sleep.  Although Danielle slept, Cookie did not. Sketchy first night in Mexico. We made it through the night though.  And we were glad to be on our way the next morning, after a mediocre surf off the Point of San Miguel. Somewhere after here we encountered our first military checkpoint. Its a little nerve racking as you approach the line of teenage soldiers with assault rifles over there shoulders, but after a quick search they waived us through, no problemo. However, it is good to have this military presence around, you never know what is going to happen here. We found ourselves the next night in Puerto San Isidro, at a hostel, having learned our lesson from the first night...wanting a place to have a sound sleep and a decent wave, it seemed like a logical choice.  The hostel was satisfactory, bit pricey.  We expected some socialization, but due to lack of people, not really...due to publicity regarding drug cartels, kidnapping etc.  There is an apparent lack of tourism.  After a couple nights of quiet comfort we headed to Quatro Casas.  That is where we found a right hand point break with a hostel, that included hot water(rare, as we are learning) and a pool for skating(the Showbowl).  We had some waves, some chats with other travellers, and some beers.  We had our time and then moved on.  We spent a lonely night at the next spot known as "the Wall" where there was no waves, no light, no people, no nothin.  It was a quiet but restful evening spent under the stars.  Upon passing through Guerrero Negro, one crosses the line between Baja Norte and Sur.  We were sprayed with pesticides and sent on our way. We keep expecting to be asked for our passports but just keep cruising through. For the last several nights we have been camping at Punta Abreojos, enjoying the small but fun waves, catching up on our reading, and eating very tasty fish tacos.  We are here waiting for a big swell. There is supposed to be a hurricane, (cyclone) off the coast of Mexico, so if the swell arrives this place will be pumping. There are a lot of great set ups here. Should be here at the end of the week.  We will see what happens after that. Adios amigos!    

Tags: baja, mexico.

About brettcooke

profile

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.