Existing Member?

World Trip 2011

Grand Canyon

USA | Tuesday, 7 June 2011 | Views [455]

Driving, driving and more driving. The Grand Canyon isn't exactly around the corner from Vegas.5 and a half hours of boringness but it is freeway the whole way. We got in at around 7 and managed to catch our first look into the canyon as the sun was low in the sky. It really is awesome, the feelings of vertigo are extreme and there are many areas where you could slip to your death. A few have. Some tourists get right out on the precipice, you have got to be careful for sure. The next day we hiked down into the canyon, but not all the way, as we didn't have time. It is interesting to note that the South Rim is actually at 7000ft and gets snow in the winter time, whilst the Colorado River sits at 2000ft on the canyon floor. We hiked down to about 5000ft and the heat difference is significant as well as the oxygen levels. The high Arizona sun made sure that we were feeling it by the time we got back to the top. For our last day we got up for the sun rise which was spectacular. The low sun casts immense shadows as you watch the colours changing from dark to earth reds. It has always been one of those places that i wanted to go to and I wasn't disappointed. Now back to Vegas for 1 night and then to Los Angeles. It must be said though- we have to get out of this country, its costing far too much!

Tags: grand canyon

About brettcooke

profile

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.