Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Three extra bodies

CHINA | Tuesday, 3 June 2008 | Views [651]

Tonight.  Three extra people will call my apartment home.  It's entirely circumstantial.  Let me explain. 

I agreed to have a couch surfer.  Kari came to Beijing to say goodbye.  One of her friends from high school came to Beijing to see her and say goodbye. 

Eva, from Guangzhou, messaged me awhile back looking to couch surf for the first time.  She's a student in the States, but she came home for the summer.  She decided to come to Beijing again while she was back in China.  I agreed enthusiastically that I should be her first couch surfing experience. 

Kari, of course, was staying with me.  Without question, she always has a place in my heart and room in my home.  Her friend is just in town for the night and needed a place to crash.  I figured one night of people sleeping in every spare corner was acceptable and agreed to the ridiculous situation. 

I had an ulterior motive.  I had my mom's computer with me because mine crashed right before I left for China.  Kari is from Portland, Oregon.  I'm going to be visiting Rhiannon in Portland.  Without a clue how to otherwise get my computer home, I'd planned on asking Kari to bring it with her and meet Rhiannon in the city.  I figured if I buttered her up by letting Matt, her friend, stay over, it was more likely that she'd be willing to tote the four pound piece of machinery over the ocean for me.  I'm scheming, I know.

The night turned out to be very pleasant.  Walks through Wangfujing and Tian'An Men.  Dinner and drinks in Sanlitun.  A very cheap cab ride back to my apartment.  We watched videos on Youtube and made beds out of the floor.  An overall great experience that makes me miss having roommates. 

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.