Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Kari

CHINA | Thursday, 5 June 2008 | Views [741]

I met her in Dalian.  She had just moved to China.  A 20-year-old with the bright eyes of someone who'd just finished her first year of college.  Incredibly enthusiastic about teaching.  A lover of children.  

We became friends instantly.  Many conversations transpired over complaints, surprises, desires, and expectations. 

I stayed with her on my return visits to Dalian to get my visa straightened out.  I went to visit her when she lived in Xi'An.  She came to Beijing for the October holiday, for the Spring Festival holiday, and to say goodbye. 

She's never lived closer to me than a couple hundred kilometers, but we've always called each other when things got a little difficult.  We've shared teaching advice, teaching horrors, and general good times stories.  We've experienced China together while living on different sides of the country. 

She came to Beijing for a few days before her flight back to Oregon.  More good times.  More memories.  More eggplant meals. 

She just left for her 14 hour flight back to the States.  And while we never really lived together, we've shared this time together.  She understands what it was like to work for Frank.  She understands what it was like to be a teacher with no experience.  She understands.  She knows.

Goodbye, Kari.  I'll see you soon :)

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.