Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Holidaze

CHINA | Thursday, 1 May 2008 | Views [524]

New day. New holiday.

The Chinese flags are back up outside every building in China. And the nationalism continues to seeth during this national holiday.

Yesterday, I was walking across the obscure footbridge near my apartment to catch the bus. A guy was standing there watching five people pass every hour selling t-shirts that said, "I Heart China". In English. I almost stopped to ask how much because I thought it was so funny.

Back in February, after experiencing the infinite hospitality of the couch surfers around China, I decided to repay the favor by breaking all the rules and hosting myself. I've had about six people so far, but my current couch surfer, Hagen, is by far the favorite. We became instant friends, which hasn't really happened in this way since the days of university and meeting all those like minds.

So I'm off again. We're venturing west to a little town (something little in China?) called Jimingyi. With my ridiculously bad Chinese and his adventurous spirit, it should be an interesting trip.

We have standing room only tickets to a town that's near Jimingyi to try to find the way there. Let the fun begin!

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.