Existing Member?

Around the World in 210 Days

Hello from 3440 Meters

NEPAL | Thursday, 21 February 2008 | Views [1250] | Comments [5]

Or 11286 feet, for those of you still using that antiquated customary system.

We are in Namche Bazar, just a stone's throw away from the world's tallest... internet cafes. That is why they charge $10 an hour and also why this post will be very short.

We are alive and well, and as of tomorrow will be hiking for about 10 days up to the Everest Base Camp and back, so the next update should be around March 4th.

You may ask how the trek has been going so far?
Well, it's been cool, but it has its ups and downs...

Ha! That's an old trekker's joke. Anyhow, we are healthy, still have all of our fingers and toes, and the weather is looking much better than two days ago (when it was snowing from sunrise to sunset). And for your quick reading pleasure, here are two of our almost daily food purchases: A $1.50 Snickers bar (although in this village they are only 90 cents!) and for lunch a big ol' bowl of Ramen noodles, moderately priced at $0.90 to $1.25. Or, in American terms, about the cost of 15 packs of Ramen noodles. We've also been consuming mass quantities of coconut cookies, which come in packs of 16 and last about five minutes in our numb hands.

That's all for now, we hope everyone is doing well and look forward to waving hello when we return, provided we still have our hands.

Tags: Snow

 

Comments

1

You have been to the mountain top !!!

Now

if you will just get back to the flatlands
I will GIVE you FREE Ramen noodles and a heated environment for a day or even two. I must go now and have a long hot shower, no wait...first I need to eat the breakfast burrito, some bacon, Pancakes with maple syrup or fresh cinammon rolls, maybe some capn crunch, hot coffee, cold juices and perhaps an icey Dr. Pepper.
mmmMMMmmm wish you were here.

Thank you for writing though. I hope the cobwebs on this blog didn't get in the way too much. I try to keep it clean but sometimes it is just to sad to come into this vast emptiness.

  Richard Feb 22, 2008 12:40 AM

2

Oh and another thing

You could have at least linked us to this to show us where you are spending that 10 dolla an hour internet money!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namche_Bazaar

Now go here and I will sing you a song…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45DFVyriVI0

Yeah I know the links won't work in here. Somebody is going to have to do some cutting and pasting at a very high cost.

By the way, Alex...Bill Clinton was here last Friday and Obama is coming to Lubbock soon for the Obamalooza. Since you aren't here when they need you, I am stepping in and influencing people to my way of thinking. Sorry.

Adios.

  Rrrricardo Feb 22, 2008 12:54 AM

3

I was shocked to learn about the base camp trek. Shocked because of the super secret gag order that was apparently blocking us from knowing about that trip.

I was talking to Spanky last night when he was roaming the street with his posse. Seriously he was, and they are fierce.
He would have loved to know that you guys were going to be near Mt. Everest.
He teaches on such things and might have wanted a snowball as a souvenier. I explained that you probably don't like him all that much anyway.

THEN I talked to Daniel King of Copenhagen Denmark and he said he would have loved to have known that you were going to the basecamp because he is as you know a mountain trekker himself. And he would have liked anything that would make him think his twin and his twin's wife were cool.
I explained that the info exchange rate between our country and any country yall are in is quite different.

I do what I can for you guys. Gotta go eat some tejano food. Toodles.

  Richard Feb 24, 2008 5:29 AM

4

Brrrr...
have you guys looked up the temperature range for February in that link provided by Rrrricardo? That's a maximum of 42 degrees (in your antiquated customary system, that is)...
Anyhow, although I start trembling merely by reading - even in my warm little hut - I'm honestly impressed! And since waving and blogging is still possible with 7 or 8 fingers as well (I don't know if it soothes you or not), I'm looking forward to your new entry!
Take care!

p.s. I'll try to show up more often now...

  german smart-a..leck Feb 27, 2008 9:11 AM

5

OK SINCE I KNOW THAT YOU SURVIED THIS I'M OK. BUT DO NOT DO THIS AGAIN IN MY LIFETIME. LOVE YOU BOTH MOM

  mardi Mar 6, 2008 2:32 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.