Existing Member?

My Asia I fell in love with Cambodia in 2002. I am fortunate enough to now be able to enjoy regular trips. I hope you enjoy following me and that the information is useful to some!

Pchum Ben Festival

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 5 October 2011 | Views [588]

We were travellign through Cambodia during Pchum Ben and a wise lady ( thanks Denise) gave us great advice that perhaps the best place to be would be Siem Reap as a lot of places would be closed and at least it being a tourist town we should have some places open. this was perfect advice. Soem places were open, some had limited meals or eating facilities during the main part of it, but with so many options in this town it was fine.

Pchum Ben  -  Every year for 15 days, in the 10th month of the Khmer Calender, the barrier between this world and the next is believed to be weakened. It is thought that the spirits will come to earth, the living are drawn to Pagodas where they make offerings of food and pray for lost ones. The Khmer's beleive that if you do not find and help the spirits then you will be cursed by them. They also leave offerings for spirits who may not have any family left or cannot find them, sticky rice is thrown around the temples for these spirits.

It was a very festive time to be in Cambodia, fire crackers going off most nights somewhere and people on holidays, but if travelling at this time do not get caught out with bus tickets and book ahead or arrange your travel around it, we were travlling from Kompong Thom to Phnom Penh on the very last day off it. So many people  had gone back to their villages to be with their families and were now returning to the city! We ended up getting a taxi as there was no bus ticket available, always a way when travelling in Asia, but the packed cars were something else!!!!

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.