Existing Member?

My Asia I fell in love with Cambodia in 2002. I am fortunate enough to now be able to enjoy regular trips. I hope you enjoy following me and that the information is useful to some!

Siem Reap

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 2 October 2011 | Views [661]

After the bus trip we settle into the Golden Temple Villa- $19 a night and l would have to say the second best place to stay in Cambodia( first being Rikitikitavi)great location about a 5 minute walk/wade to Pub Street and the Old Market. Staff so friendly and helpful.

We walk/wade about to orientate ourselves, the flooding is up to our knees in parts and first thing we do is buy crocs to keep our feet as safe as possible in these flood waters and scrub them when back at the Villa.Most restaurants are open and life is going on as normal. The Khmers are seeing this as no ne else would! Swimming in the streets, diving off bridges, floating in poly boxes, and generally making the best of a crap situation. Of course the flooding is worse in the provinces and has caused a lot of damage to crops, homes and people.

Arrival Day - Walk about

Day One - Kompong Phhluk

Day Two- we walk/wade about to all the boutiques' and shops, some are not open either because of the floods or Pchum Ben, but we have an enjoyable day pottering about and a nap for me in the afternoon!

Day Three - Out to revisit the temples,a $20 Day pass and a $10 Tuk Tuk. Angkor Wat, l get to climb up to the top, you must have the correct clothes on, shorts or knees covered and shoulders covered.Pita Bread was'nt allowed. I had a bit of a chat with Buddha and sent my prayers upwards. We also were blessed by an elder and had a chat with a very cute monk. My fourth trip to the temple as possibly just as magical as the others. Onwards to the amazing Bayon, and continued on the small circuit until about 2pm. Not alot of people around and advice to those that want to avoid the crowds, go in the opposte direction that everyone goes and be patient!! You can get photos without anyone in them if you just wait. Tour groups whizz through, so wait until they are gone. A moment to sit and wonder in these places is good for the soul anyway.

Day Four - Another poke about day and we changed Guest Houses and now at the Auberge Mont D'Angkor. Gorgeous building and possibly has 60 rooms but only three guests here at the monent!Bit spooky!! But it has a gorgeous pool and we have it all to ourselvess.

Day Five - Off to Kompong Thom on the bus!!!!! Eeeek

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.