Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Floating Islands

PERU | Wednesday, 25 March 2009 | Views [365]

Puno sits on the banks of another of Peru's natural wonders; Lake Titicaca - the world's highest navigable lake. At 12,500 ft above sea level, Puno's thin air takes a bit of getting used to and, again, it's bloody cold.

So what makes it worthy of a visit? Well, for a start Lake Titicaca has floating islands on it. Floating islands you say? Yes, floating islands. Wow. Wait, do you mean that the islands actually float? Yes, get over it. There are floating islands.

We visit one called Uros. A 45min boat ride gets us to the island and we are greeted by it's cheery inhabitants. They warn us to be careful getting off the boat, as many a tourist has apparently slid off the side. You see the islands are made of layers of reeds, all sewn together. Fresh reeds are constantly being laid on top as the lower layers decay in the water. The ground is squishy when you step on it and it has a spring like feeling that makes you want to skip around.

The people are very friendly and they show us their small huts which have reed beds and are surprisingly warm. The bathrooms are outside and there is even a real toilet - although probably more for the tourists who have booked to stay overnight. After some deliberation we decide not to do this (ok, we never actually had any intention of staying, its soooo cold). So we say bye to the foolish/brave* (delete as appropriate) backpackers from our boat and wish them well. Later that evening, sitting in a pizza oven warmed restaurant, it begins to hail - where wouldn't we want to be now?

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.