Existing Member?

nomadnorrie From Sydney to the formula 1 grand prix in Shanghai, Beijing, South Korea, Mongolia, Russia, Ukraine and Europe. Final destination by train is London. Hopping on a flight to Finland, then on to Japan and finally back to Sydney.

Getting a cold

CHINA | Saturday, 3 November 2007 | Views [889]

Cure for a cold, with rather attractive packaging.

Cure for a cold, with rather attractive packaging.

I felt ill last Saturday morning, I dragged myself out of bed, then went to a chemist to see if there was something I could get for it. I hadn't learnt how to talk about illness at school (and probably will not) so I looked in my Mandarin survival book to find the phrase that I needed.

I found the section that told me how to say "I have a cold" so I went to a chemist and told them "I have a cold". I also said "My nose is no good" because I wasn't sure how to say sore. I had to listen to the shopkeeper for about 2 minutes. I only really understandood a few bits of what she was saying, but the crucial bit was how many times a day should I take these tablets, I got that. Thankfully, they gave me something that worked, although what is in it is anyone's guess. I checked with my teacher this morning and she thinks what I said was fine, so I did alright then.

I also had to put up with my hotel receptionists taking the mickey out of me for getting up so late. For some reason both the young girls seemed to think that despite having flu-like symptoms I should still have got up and gone to school on Monday morning. One of my teachers told me today that she too has a cold but obviously she just works through it.

To think I got a cold when the daytime temperatures are still hovering around 12 deg. C when they can in fact drop to as low as -15 deg. C is worrying. I'm not used to 'real cold' anymore.

Now, three days since I started to feel a bit iffy, I'm practically back to normal again.

Tags: Doctors, hospitals & health

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.