Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Farewell to the Netherlands and time for another week in the UK

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 14 September 2011 | Views [629]

Beer tasting at The Fox

Beer tasting at The Fox

Monday 22nd – Tuesday 30th August  - Farewell to the Netherlands and time for another week in the UK

Amazing!!!  We can leave Hoorn at 9.30am and can drive through The Netherlands and Belgium and be in Dunkirk in only 4 hours!  We then had time to stop for those last minute French goodies – wine, chocolate and cheese.  The ferry took us over to Dover (pardon the poetry), then on to Hampshire to visit Penny, another fellow traveller whom we’d met in Stone Town, Zanzibar.

Being fairly keen to see a few more historic homes whilst in the UK Penny took us through “The Vyne”, a stately Tudor home in Basingstoke.  The high point was the oak paneled gallery – each carved panel representing a noble courtier in1526 – everyone from Wolseley, Catherine of Aragon, Thomas More and Henry VIII.  Then it was off to the pub for a pint at The Fox at North Waltham. 

The pub was your classic ye olde English pub where confusion reigns as to which beer to have (as long as it’s a cold one)….problem solved……the bartender came back with a wooden spatula with 4 taste glasses of beer…Sharp’s Doombar won!  And the food was excellent, particularly the cheese soufflé!  The next morning we bade farewell to Penny with a plan to meet again somewhere in the world…..

The next few days were spent at Rushden. Emma & Sam were getting ready for their new dog and we were preparing for the final part of our time in the UK – a trip through the Cotswolds to Herefordshire again for three nights.  More tiny villages, winding hedgerows, towns called Chipping Norton and Stow upon the Wold. The weekend with our friends in Herefordshire was, as usual, full of fun and games.

On Monday we crossed through the Cotswolds again to head for Saffron Walden with a stopover at The Red Lion near Cambridge.  We left our car to be stored in Clavering, near Cambridge.  You can travel in Africa and have good phone reception, but when in England, like Australia, it fails.  Clavering is not good for making a mobile phone call and so the solution is to head into the local “The Cricketers”, a C16th pub with very low ceilings (5’) and use their phone.  Jim stooped as he asked the chef (who was also stooping as he made the pats of butter) if he could use the phone.  This pub is home to Jamie Oliver’s parents and is where he learnt his skills, so from now on Jim’s going to stoop when cooking….it might make a chef of him yet!  BTW blog readers…how tall IS Jamie??

After leaving the car, it was then onwards to London by train.  Knightsbridge is an interesting area to stay…along Sloane St the shops are all designer…it’s best to go there after closing - then there’s no temptation to have the security guard open the big brass door handle and usher you and your thousands of pounds into the likes of Jimmy Choo heaven.  Hyde Park on the other hand is huge and fantastic.  Most importantly we’d managed to secure 2 nights at the famous Cadogan Hotel…where Jim’s hero Oscar Wilde was arrested (Room 118), sadly he was found watching 2 young men *!?!!*….  They weren’t arrested, just Oscar.  That moment marked the end of his career and life of artistic abandon.  From then on it was all downhill until his death in Paris in December 1899.  So sad when you look at it from the perspective of 2011 values…

The underground was so accessible from our hotel, as was the Apple shop over at Covent Garden where we once again marveled at the wizardry of their employees in helping us in all things photographic, file sorting and transferring, and iTune synchronisation.  

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.