Existing Member?

jnj away 2012...the journey continues

Sir Isaac Newton’s birthplace, Woolsthorpe Manor, Lincolnshire

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 10 May 2011 | Views [4329]

Newton's birthplace, his bedroom iw the window on the top right.

Newton's birthplace, his bedroom iw the window on the top right.

1st May 2011

Sir Isaac Newton’s home, Woolsthorpe Manor, Lincolnshire

We came to Europe to see and feel history and that’s exactly what we’re getting.  Our National Trust memberships have opened a door to the most exquisite pieces of history, culture, politics as well as ordinary life. Woolsthorpe Manor, Newton’s birthhouse, boasts the most important bedroom and tree in physics!

Newton’s work on gravity and light…and so much more…was the substance of so much high school education for me…and you, too, Neil I’m sure!  The apple tree in the yard below his bedroom is the original - recent DNA testing confirms that it’s well over 350 years old and is located where Newton himself had noted - wow!

We were free to explore everywhere – the rent chair used by the Lord to collect and deposit rent monies under lock and key, the sloping stool at the kitchen table to ensure that those tanked on beer would fall forward - onto the table - rather than backwards onto the stone floor, the protective inscriptions in the various walls by doorways to ward off witches, the photos of Einstein’s visit to pay homage in 1927…and much more.  To think that Newton’s father was an illiterate sheep farmer and died just before he was born…

 

About jimboandjanet


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.