Existing Member?

Itchy Feet

Siem Reap

CAMBODIA | Friday, 24 July 2015 | Views [266]

After a long day in Bangkok airport waiting for our second flight of the day we arrived in Siem Reap and went straight to bed. The next morning we made full use of a private twin room with air con and had a lazy morning reading our books until check out. 

We checked into our next hostel and went for lunch. Vicky had read in the guide book about a lovely cafe called The Glasshouse which served delicious homemade ice cream. The cafe was very quaint and served great food - I had amazing arancini with ratatouille (not very Cambodian I know!). Vicky tried the ice cream after lunch, which apparently lived up to it's reputation, and we sat there booking hostels and making solid plans for the rest of the week. Given that we are now tight for time (less than 2 weeks left!) we are trying to cram everything in so can't take each day as it comes anymore which is a shame. After having a look at dates and what is still left to do we reckon we can fit it all in, just. 

We headed off in a tuk tuk (again, awful at bartering) to go and play crazy golf at Angkor Wat Putt which was a lot of fun. I was winning until the last few holes and then Vicky overtook me to take the crazy golf crown! 

In the evening we went to Pub Street, the main street in Siem Reap, for dinner and then to Angkor What? Club for drinks.

The next morning we were up at 4am to go to Angkor Wat for sunrise. It was absolutely stunning. There were so many colours and it was amazing to see the different stages of sunrise. After taking some great photos we wandered round the temple which is the largest religious building in the world. By 6am it was already scorching!

The next temple on the list was Bayon which is the one with the faces - there are massive faces carved into the rock which was pretty spectacular. After that we headed to Ta Prohm where Tomb Raider was filmed. This one was our favourite as it had trees growing out of and around the stone while also having quite a bit of rubble where some of the temple had fallen down which added to the authenticity and made it feel like we had just discovered the ruins ourselves.

That evening we took a 12 hour overnight bus to Sihanoukville on the south coast.

Y x

About ymoughton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.