Existing Member?

Itchy Feet

Bangkok

THAILAND | Monday, 8 June 2015 | Views [304] | Comments [4]

Yesterday was our first proper day of the Thai Intro week and we did a temple tour of Bangkok. The day started with a temple round the corner from where we're staying and we had a Buddhist blessing by a monk (he gave us good omens for the week apparently). We then had a river cruise to see the back streets of Bangkok which was really fun. They have these floating markets where Thai women come up to the side of the boat in a little boat selling you water and fans and all the other stuff you see at a market and the women are so cute just constantly smiling and waving. Our group has loads of Americans and they were loving it. I never realised before how different Americans are to us Brits and at first their constant over enthusiasm was annoying but now I love it! They're just so happy all the time and love everything that we're doing.

After the river cruise we went to Wat Pho which has a massive reclining Buddha inside and had a guided tour of the area with guide telling us which Buddha we are depending on what day you were born. Apparently the King was born on a Monday so I've got the standing Buddha who stops the ocean.

We took tuk tuk's back to the hostel, 8 tuk tuks for 22 of us and it was a race back. It was absolutely terrifying but so much fun with everyone screaming at their driver to go faster and over take the others. One time our tuk tuk was overtaking a bus but going on the other side of the road so we squeezed between the bus and the oncoming traffic, scarey but brilliant!

I had my first go at bartering once we were back. We had a hippy theme for our night out so had to go out and buy our outfits, needless to say I wasn't great at getting the price down!

We all went for dinner to an Indian restaurant where everyone sat on the floor at one long little table like Indian's eat their food. Delicious food but so spicy!

After that we went down to Khao San Road - the one that all the backpackers go to with loads of bars and clubs, it reminded me of the Zante strip but better. We sat outside drinking buckets (cocktails are drunk by the bucket load out here, not glasses!) and Adam (the group leader) came round with plates of fried insects and scorpions. I can't believe it but I actually ate a mealworm! It was so disgusting and yes there's video proof!

We went on to a big club (thankfully it was air-conditioned!) and danced all night. I was dragged home at 3am (apparently all the clubs close and there wasn't anywhere to continue) and we walked home in the biggest thunder storm I've ever seen. We all got completely soaked and danced in the rain, so glad I bought a waterproof camera!!

Today we had a Thai cooking class which was so much fun, even though Vicky and I managed to burn our Pad Thai! The women running it was hilarious and afterwards she taught us how to dance like the Thai's.

We've got a great group and are having the best time, can't remember the last time I laughed this much!

Y x

Comments

1

So glad to hear that you are having such a good time and that travelling is everything you wanted it to be. That's what it's all about! Nice to hear you're broadening you're (food) horizons, never thought I'd see the day!

  Jamie Jun 12, 2015 8:18 AM

2

Yvette it sounds like you've had the best start to your travels. Can't believe you ate a meal worm! I look forward to watching the video evidence when we're in Italy - I'm sure that "I'm a Celebrity" will have nothing on you! Keep up the blogging and share the laughter. Tons of love, Sheena :) xxxx

  Sheena Jun 13, 2015 3:17 AM

3

Now that I've seen my post I now realise that you don't have a friend called Jamie Jun. Or if you do he's related to me as I am Sheena Jun. I think I've now worked out that Jun stands for June!!!! Oh I'm just the brightest ;)

  Sheena Jun 13, 2015 3:20 AM

4

Haha Sheena Jun! I know, I can't believe I ate it either! Yep I'll definitely show you the video in Italy :) Lots of love xxxx

  ymoughton Jun 13, 2015 8:20 PM

About ymoughton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.