Existing Member?

Itchy Feet

Khao Sok National Park

THAILAND | Saturday, 13 June 2015 | Views [226]

Last night we stayed on an overnight train travelling to the south of Thailand. It was quite fun to begin with because all of us were in one carriage so it was like a massive sleepover but then we had to try and sleep on it with no air con, it was definitely the sweatiest night sleep I've ever had. Gross. Toilets over here are generally squat ones, really difficult on a moving train. All the girls were trying to hold it for the 12 hours and not drink that much but inevitably most of us had to go! 

Once we got off the train we took minibuses down to Khao Sok National Park and then climbed into 2 river boats to cross the lake to the place we were staying that night - floating bungalows! It was absolutely stunning, total paradise. Apparently not many people know about the place so it's pretty much untouched. 

When we reached the bungalows we all jumped in the lake where we stayed for most of the day (yep, I got badly sun burned on my back!). It was so tranquil, and completely cut off from civilisation - it only had electricity between 6 and 11pm so after that we had oil lamps to carry around. We all had to wash in the lake as well because there were no showers, something I've not done before! 

When we went to bed Vicky found a cockroach running across her bed and there was another one on the curtain. We've now established that I'm better with bugs than Vicky, who'd have thought?! Vicky freaked at the cockroach and completely worked herself up. We were seriously considering sleeping on the wooden planks outside, instead we opted to sleep with the door open. To calm down Gemma, Megan, Vicky and I sat outside looking at all the stars for ages. It was magical, I've never seen so many stars, there is pretty much no light pollution, the whole place was completely black except for 20 oil lamps.

Y x

 

About ymoughton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.