Existing Member?

Vagabonding Our time being 'of no fixed abode'.

Glastonbury

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 15 June 2007 | Views [578]

After breakfast with Vic and Peter we headed to north with a detour through The Wallops. I’ve always wanted to go to Nether Wallop since a comedy festival was televised from there in the 80s (fundraising a new church spire or similar). We then headed along the A303 and hit a traffic tailback, so we detoured into Stonehenge for another wee peek.

For those of you who have already been subjected to my English Heritage are Bastards rant, please skip to the next paragraph. My understanding of the situation is this: Some time ago the owner of the land on which Stonehenge sits, bequeathed it to the Nation (via English Heritage) on the understanding that no one should ever have to pay to access it. So what did English Heritage do? They found a loophole, fenced it off, built a tunnel under the adjacent road, which is the only way onto the site and they, technically, charge people to use the tunnel. So we didn’t pay again and viewed it through the fence. End of rant.

We eventually made it up to Glastonbury, approaching through Street this time. We checked out a campsite that didn’t have the right feel to it and then went to the one I’d researched earlier – in Wick! (Wendy and nICK for those who haven’t figured out the connection). It was absolutely gorgeous – on a farm site just below the Tor and within walking distance (except I couldn’t walk given the scaffolding incident). We basically went mad in Glastonbury for a couple of days getting a few treats from our favourite shops we haven’t been able to visit in 3-4 years (although one does mail order so I have cheated before). And we splashed out on local treats, cider, farm produce, organic greens etc.

I should explain that Glastonbury High Street (High Street being often literal but also a term refering to the main shopping street) is very special. Almost every other High Street in the UK has a Boot’s Chemist, standard clothing shops etc, but in Glastonbury there’s hardly any of these. It’s riddled with more interesting shops, book shops, crystal shops, fair trade outlets etc. In fact I’ve officially renamed it Diagon Alley (that’s where Harry Potter gets his supplies from) as you can literally go in a buy a Hazel Wand with Snowflake Obsidian and Blue Agate, magical ink, crystal singing bowls and sacred feathers! It can feel a bit surreal but nothing less than fascinating.

Tags: On the Road

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.