Existing Member?

Vagabonding Our time being 'of no fixed abode'.

The New Forest.

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 15 June 2007 | Views [5260]

Not being needed at the beer festival for a few days we headed just a few miles away to the New Forest. We’d both read Edward Rutherfurd’s book ‘The Forest’ so it was interesting to finally visit the places mentioned therein. The forest looked exactly as I imagined it and the heath also. We treated ourselves to a couple of days in an easy to find campsite overlooking a heath full of New Forest Ponies! Hours of entertainment and a welcome rest after a couple of weeks dashing about.

We did a detour past the Rufus Stone on the way out of the Forest. It’s mentioned in the book The Forest and is where the King was accidentally (?) killed but an arrow that deflected off an oak tree in the 1100’s (we think). We had a picnic there, went for a walk and at last saw some deer. Nick had commented earlier that there should have been deer in the Forest and I suggested they may not have been able to afford them, with them being so ‘dear’. Ha ha.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.