Existing Member?

Vagabonding Our time being 'of no fixed abode'.

Southampton Beer Festival

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 15 June 2007 | Views [5190] | Comments [2]

We arrived back in Southampton at went straight to the festival where we were issued with a pass to allow us to park right outside J After a supply top us at Asda we checked in for our shifts and were immediately issued with a name badge, meal ticket and a pint glass, with the all important sticker so you can put your name on it! We were then instructed to drink ale until our shift started. What a tough gig!

We worked from 6ish til midnight-ish, mostly serving people the festival ales etc. It was really busy and great fun too. I finally got to fulfill my long standing ambition to be a beer wench ;)

When it was Time (11pm) we waited for punters to leave and started the clean up. Then there was a load of food put on and a bit more ale to finish off. Then we got to sit down and have a chat with people. Since arriving on Wednesday we had had our suspicions that CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) people would be friendly and interesting confirmed. A few have been down under and without exception the ones we met knew not to insult us by assuming we are Aussies!

The next day was take down and it was a struggle to get up and in the hall by about 9 after going to bed at 2am. But the sun was beating down on the van and we were forced to evacuate. Near the end of the clean up we had to take down the scaffolding that the beer casks sat on. I was holding an upright during the deconstruction of the very last piece when a lower crossbar dropped out of place, and you guessed it, on to my big toe! Don’t laugh! It was a very heavy, flat piece that fell on it’s edge and at first I thought my toe might have been severed. For those of you who have seen the episode of Mythbusters where the test out steel cap boots (which I wasn’t wearing), it was just like that! Fortunately I did have sturdyish boots on but I still can’t believe I escaped without a fracture. Plenty of ice and elevation for the rest of the day seemed to keep the worst at bay.

After the take down we enjoyed the hospitality of Vic and Peter who had offered that we could park outside their place for the night. They were really kind to us and even cooked us breakfast the next morning. How they did it after such a busy week, I don’t know, but it was much appreciated. Together we went off to the Waterloo Arms in Freemantle to meet up with other members who had been involved and it turned into a really nice social evening, despite there being a lot of tired people. They’re a great bunch of people and we’re lucky to have met them – one of the perks of volunteering and getting involved in unusual things. Other perks included all the ale we could drink on Saturday night, meal ticket, after match function on Saturday night, meal and pint at the pub on Sunday, free parking 2 nights, a bag full of small packets of crisps, some chocolates, some tea bags, a huge bag full of novels to sort through and read, lots of kindness, and undoubtably more things I can’t remember!

Tags: Work



Hi Wendy, how's the foot now? Great to meet you guys, glad you enjoyed your time with us :-) Give us a yell if you're back in the area and we'll find some more pubs to visit.

Bon voyage and cheers!

  Ian Black Jun 15, 2007 10:12 PM


Cheers Ian!
The toe update...one week on: As you can probably imagine its turning some very interesting colours! I've mastered a hobble that resembles normal walking and if I don't overdo it, it feels fine. We've had some quiet time to rest so that's worked out well.
It was great to meet you all!

  Wendy Jun 17, 2007 7:50 PM

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.



Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.