Existing Member?

Vagabonding Our time being 'of no fixed abode'.

Wychwood Continued

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 5 June 2007 | Views [736]

As two of our shifts are in the Pit or Backstage on the Main stage we had to go to a special briefing in that area. We were instructed on how to lift distressed persons from the front of the crowd into the pit. Nick got to be one of the people lifted and they managed not to drop him on his head so it’s all looking quite promising.

We did our first shift in the Box Office on Friday night. One flustered but cheerful lady bounced in really late in the evening and declared ‘VW vans are crap!’ I said ‘don’t say that, we’ve just bought one!!!’ She replied well they don’t keep going when they’ve run out of petrol!’. A long chain of events including deciding to take the second exit to Cheltenham ‘but there wasn’t one!’, resulted in a very late arrival. Seems she wasn’t much bothered though. We saw her and her group the next night, she’d just got engaged and was even more bouncy than the night before.

Our second shift was backstage on the main stage, basically stopping the Press and VIPs from getting into the artist only area. And try they did. Obviously there were a few artists floating around, the most recognisable being Badly Drawn Boy. He’s not the prettiest of artist but most definitely very talented.

There were some teens hanging around who looked like sons and daughters of performers. One looked just like the guy on Almost Famous which made it all feel very rock’n’roll. Following our shift we went around the front to see Fun Lovin’ Criminals who were great. Even better than expected. The following morning we had a very quiet shift mostly chatting to the PR people in the press office. Then we were free to enjoy the rest of the festival – African Drumming, Celtic music, Festival Special Ale, chips and gravy etc. The next day was Andy’s birthday so we also helped him celebrate a little!

Tags: On the Road

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.