Existing Member?

Vagabonding Our time being 'of no fixed abode'.

Wychwood

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 5 June 2007 | Views [521]

After another brief stop in Cheltenham for wellies and beer glasses (both essential pieces of equipment at festivals) we found our way to Cheltenham racecourse through a combination of Nick’s memory and sense of direction. He is well known for reliably heading in the opposite direction to the intended destination so this was nothing short of a personal triumph for him!

Being a day early we were one of the few people on site. As we arrived Sue, the steward organiser hoped in Vince to guide us to the field. We parked near another van belonging to a Welsh postman called Andy, according to Sue.

The next morning Nick went on a mission for cell phone topup, stamps etc and I hung out just in case I could be useful. Sure enough someone didn’t turn up for a shift so I got roped into a very easy hour or so on a gate. We spent the afternoon enjoying some decent Wychwood beer (Wychcraft and Goliath) and playing games in the van while the rain pitter-pattered on the roof.

That night we had the stewards briefing and afterwards got chatting to our neighbour Andy as we wandered back to the campsite. He disappeared into is camper and came back with a cider each! We thought this to be very generous and started to protest when it came time for another. But he said “I’ve got to drink all these by tomorrow and I’ve got 18 of them!” – “Why by tomorrow?” I asked, with it only being the first day of the festival I could see no hurry “Well the bar opens tomorrow!” was his reply. Fair enough we thought.

We had a great night chatting with Andy and he told us some great places in Wales to visit. At one stage a huge dog went past and I commented on my ‘once bitten, twice shy’ stance – I not a fan of big dogs. Andy just turned around and said “Well I’m a postman”. Nuff said.

Tags: On the Road

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.