Existing Member?

Vagabonding Our time being 'of no fixed abode'.

Goa (by Nick)

INDIA | Thursday, 8 November 2007 | Views [1416] | Comments [1]

We have internet here at the Beach. Its is a lovely spot here, all the tourists tell us its the best beach in Goa. It is a smallish bay, maybe 1-2.0km long, with rocky bits enclosing the ends. Its pretty much rammed with coco huts (bamboo huts on stilts), with most having bars/rests. out the front. We have a nice sea view, with the nice sound of waves and magical sunsets. But also comes with the coco hut the problem of no sound proofing and some other people stumble in drunkenly from 12-5am, so we moved down the beech to a quieter place, but then we have other noises, birds and roosters, semi wild packs of howling dogs etc. I think in a few days we will sleep through all this though. the water is most warm and inviting. The food here is good but disappointingly a little bland and cooked by Nepalese whom come down from the winter to work here. Good for the belly, so touch wood no more upsets at the moment.
The sleeper train here was good, but the next one we connected on was only r10 ( NZ 30 cents, for 46km journey) and a rather harrowing experience to board. Hundreds of people all fighting to get on, literally climbing over one another to get on before the train had even stopped! I shoved my way on and to my amazement secured a seat only to realise the throngs of people were rushing to the next carriage and an angry guard with a big batten was smashing it around saying this was a reserved carriage! You should have seen how fast it emptied out. Thus we were supposed to be on the other carriage too. We ended up staying put with a nice English (indian) couple coming the rescue and comforting wendy, we paid the conductor a wee bribe to stay put. Things are going well still and it is very easy to live here apart from disturbed sleep. Not sure what we will do next, hopefully we can stay here for a week or two or four before we need to decide what to do next. We have found the people nice and usually helpful, although Mumbai and Goa are perhaps not real India yet, not the poverty and desperation in neither place.  
Not sure what we will do next, hopefully we can stay here for a week or two or four before we need to decide what to do next.
We have found the people nice and usually helpful, although Mumbai and Goa are perhaps not real India yet, not the poverty and desperation in either place.

Tags: Relaxation

Comments

1

Hi guys,

I only got up to Japan reading (isn't is completely amazing?! Your tale of the wonderful couple in the bar doesn't surprise me at all) and I have to go and sequence four million PCRs which are behaving like little ****ers so will most likely fail...

...but I had to write to say thank you very much for our postcard!

Take care, keep the travelling force strong - England is (i) the same (ii) freezing (iii) wet.

Love, Jenny

  Jenny Frost Nov 22, 2007 1:40 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.