Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 143 – 21st August 2016 Sunday – Massive Bike Ride

VIETNAM | Monday, 22 August 2016 | Views [582]

Kevin was off riding on his own again. It appears he has learnt his lesson about hydration and is now preparing better and drinking more on his rides. I hate to say I have been telling him since buying the bikes that he is not drinking enough but does he listen to me, not very often. I meanwhile was on my bike at 6.35 to go meet Monika and JA only to discover flat tyres. A mad rush back inside for the pump and both tyres pumped I was off. I was first to arrive and was informed we were waiting for Megan and Kirsten so I went and collected Vicky and bought her back to Monika’s. We were then off, the six of us. First we rode along the river through Cam Tanh to the Big Bridge. We all tried to build up pace and Vicky was the first to drop off and walk, then Monika and JA. I made it to the top using all of the gears and Megan and Kirsten arrived shortly after, having got a friendly hand from a motorbike truck they had held onto. We took some photos of the views and then it was down the other side, turning left, initially by passing the fishing village to the beach as Monika believed this was where the new Chinese Casino was being built. Vicky and I knew this wasn't the place as it is much further up the new road. We had to turn around and it was back to the fishing village for a coffee  sua da (VN coffee with condensed milk). I went looking for a Nuoc Mia (sugar cane juice) but it was closed. Back on the bikes and went to where we expected to catch a ferry back to Cua Dai only to find that due to the new Bridge this service has stopped. Ok, we now had to ride the long way back through Cam Kim and this would take another hour or so. We stopped on Cam Kim for a Nuoc Mia and by now we have all finished our water so it was very refreshing. Only 40 minutes to go if we are lucky. By now we all have sore arses, even with my bike pants on and I am aching all over. It was an effort just to get back on the bikes, let alone to keep riding. Once we came over the last bridge onto An Hoi everybody went in separate directions. Vicky to get Pho, Megan and Kirsten were off home to get ready to go to Danang InterContinental for lunch and Monika and JA were heading home. I decided also to go home in lieu of Almanity as I was exhausted. It has been over 3 months since I rode a push bike and after 34km my body was telling me this. I staggered in the door after 11am and after a refreshing drink and shower just lay on the bed with the a/c running. Very unusual for me. After about an hour I was ready to have lunch and head to the pool. No gym session today. At 2pm Kevin left to go to the Sports Bar with his weekend buddies again.  stayed until late in afternoon when the thunder clouds came in. A quick pack up and  dash to the minimart for supplies and then home. It had started spitting as I neared home and was soon pouring. Boy, was I glad to have made it home before it started thundering and lightening. I made myself a drink and watched some more Netflix while I snacked. Kevin came home and we went to Vang’s for dinner. They had been busy pulling out all their vegetable garden and laying a concrete slap for the new car they are getting tomorrow. Tri was welding the poles that will be used to build a carport. Duc said he will collect the car in the morning as this is a lucky day and time and they will park the car on the slab and hold a ceremony. I questioned whether the slab would have cured enough to take the weight of the vehicle but was told to shut up by Kevin. The VN will do what they do. I grabbed an icecream on my way home. 

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.