Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 102 – 12th July 2016 Monday - Travelling to Westport, Punakaiki & Greymouth

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 12 July 2016 | Views [385]

We were up and packed by 7.15 but there was ice on all the windows and we needed hot water to remove it. When we went to leave the park the boom gate didn't work as it was frozen. I had to wait for a staff member to come and toss hot water on it so we could leave. We headed toward Richmond and then headed to Westport which is on the West Coast of NZ. There was a frost everywhere and it took until after 10am to clear. We travelled again through the mountains on a windy road. It was better than previous days as we had longer periods where you could sit on 80 – 100km/h. We arrived in Westport at 10.30 and went to Westpac bank to change some money as we have run out. Changed $500 for the kitty and $200 for myself and mum also changed $200. We are now flush with money. We stopped at the local park for a cuppa and a toilet break. We then went to look where the Buller River flows into the sea but were unable to see anything of value. We then headed for Punakaiki along the spectacular coastline to view the Pancake Rocks and Blowholes. It was a nice walk around the pathway to check out the stony phenomenon over broad walks and stone steps which led to viewing platforms. The Pancake Rocks are made of limestone and have  layered over 30 million years to look like a pancake stack. Unfortunately the tides weren't ride for us to see the blow hole in action. We continued on to Greymouth which is the largest city on the West coast. We arrived at Greymouth KIWI Holiday Park & Motel at 1.30 and checked into our 2 bedroom motel room with kitchen facilities. We had a quick lunch and then headed back into Greymouth to explore the coastal / river mouth. We walked out the breakwater and were again surprised that the beach was rocks and there was a lot of washed up timber along the coast as far as you could see. We then went into town and had a quick look at the shops before heading back. We stopped for fuel and also supplies from the supermarket. 

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.