Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 103 – 12th July 2016 Tuesday – Glacier Region

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 13 July 2016 | Views [312]

On the road heading further south to the Glacier Region  by 8.30. Our first stop, at 10.30  was at Franz Josef  where we  went to the information centre where we had a cuppa before going inside. We obtained a map for both Franz Josef and Fox Glacier townships. We decided to go to Franz Josef Glacier and I would do the 1hour 30 min valley walk while mum went part way with me and then turned back and did the sentinel rock walk which was said to take a further 20min. Mums walk included a steep climb for views of the glacier. My walk led me toward the terminal face of the glacier alongside the Waiho River bed following the glaciers path of retreat. The walk stopped still some distance from the terminal face but you could see clearly the glacier, somewhat engulfed in clouds and mist. There were sign posts which showed pictures of the glacier in 2008, 2010 and 2012 with it obviously retreating. From here we continued onto Fox Glacier township to our Motel, Belle Vista Motel where we checked in and had some lunch. After lunch we decided to go to Lake Matheson which is famous for reflecting a near perfect image of Aoraki Mt Cook in perfect weather. The lake is well protected from the wind, it's ale coloured waters are often quite still, providing a perfect mirror for NZ highest peaks. We wondered around to the closest viewing spot which was some 20mins away from the car park. Unfortunately it is not a perfect day and we don't have the said reflections. I decided to keep going around the lake and this walk also was 1 hour 30min. Mum turned back after the first viewing platform and went to the gift shop to have a browse. We came back into town and went to the tour group I am doing my glacier walk with tomorrow to check what time I needed to be there. The girl advised that a decision will be made at 9am as to whether it will occur or not as they are expecting large rainfalls overnight and this could mean the creeks will be too deep. We then went to the supermarket for dinner supplies. It has been a big day of walking with me walking nearly 12km. 

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.