Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 19 – 19th May 2015 – Tuesday – HoiAn

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 20 May 2015 | Views [327]

Because we are attending Mr Dungs ancestor day at 11.30 we didn't go walking but had breakfast at 7am so that we could be at the beach by 8am. As we were leaving, the Homestay was very busy cooking and rearranging furniture for the lunch. I went over to Betel and picked up the cake that Vang had bought for me to give to Mr Dung. It seems hotter today and it was a relief to actually go into the cold refreshing water just to get some relief. Deborah again came and chatted about HoiAn life for a while. She gave us the name of a Restaurant aphorism Xua to visit in town for authentic Vietnamese food. She is passionate about riding her motorbike around the countryside to secluded and isolated locations. She suggested we take the scooter across the ferry near Red Bridge and to ride to the coast along the river before coming back on ferry from one of the bigger Islands. We raced back for a shower and then came out to be met by many of Mr Dung’s relatives and friends from the neighbourhood. There were 2 other guests from England, Neville and his girlfriend from Austria. A guy from around the corner, Andrew was from Adelaide and is here working for an NGO. Turns out he knows Kevin’s brother Steve and other people at Henley Beach. Tri, Vang’s brother in law came and he sat with us. The food was plentiful and very filling with a lot of variety. Larue Beer was warm and so we had to have ice in our Vegemite glasses to cool it down. Yo means click glasses and drink. For the next few hours there was a lot of Yo calls and clicking of glasses. I made my exit after 2 bottles and went for a lay down. Kevin stayed until nearly the end and kept drinking. No wonder he complained of a headache later in the day. I had to go to town to change some money so went on the scooter. Browsed through the market and got some RP7 for Mr Dung, a new hat because I forgot to put sunblock on. While I was wondering upstairs in the market I went out on balcony and could see a storm coming. I decided to high tail it out of there immediately because I had left the scooter a way down the River. I stopped for petrol on the way back and by now it was spitting large drops and I just made it back to the Homestay before it Bucketed down. It rained and thundered for over an hour and it was a massive deluge of about 100mm. I quickly made the decision not to got to An Bang teaching as the roads are going to be slick. After a shake for tea we decided to walk into town for an icecream as we hadn't been for a walk today. Unfortunately we couldn't find the icecream shop so kept walking down the various streets. We looked for Pho Xau so that we know where to go tomorrow night. We walked back on the low road near the river and petrol station as we needed some light to miss the puddles.  

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.