Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 12 – 12th May 2015 – HoiAn

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 13 May 2015 | Views [349]

We walked into the central market this morning. We ended up buying a plate, knife, fork and spoon as Cuc keeps taking the ones I borrow from her. Cost us VND $80k a rip off but Kevin felt sorry for them. Got another mango for our shakes. Kevin got some beer nuts for snack time. We also bought a singlet each for walking. They are much lighter than any we have. Cost VND $65k each or just under A$4. Kevin had not been happy with the push bikes he had used to date as they were creeky and very difficult to pedal as the chain is not lubricated. Mr Dung had asked yesterday if Kevin would be prepared to rent a new bike if he bought one. Would cost VND $20k / day or A$60 for the remainder of our stay. After breakfast Kevin set off on his new bike to the beach and I rode the scooter. Kevin was much happier as he was able to ride the 6km in 20 minutes. There were not a lot of people around this morning and we just lazed and swam til lunch time. After lunch I went to Betel to pick up Isa delivery and to use their computer as mine really is cactus. I loaded Kevin’s kindle with 70 odd books to keep him occupied. I headed off back to An Bang Beach for the teaching of adults while Kevin decided he needed some new bathers so he went back to the market area and got some speedos for VND$150k. I got to An Bang a little early and expected to see people at the café / school learning Vietnamese but there was no one around. A little girl named Little Star came out and she started talking with me. I asked her to teach me a few words – thank you, hello. Ms Tanh soon came and I chatted with her while we waited. She owns 2 Homestays in An Bang Beach – Seaside Village Homestay with 4 rooms and another further back toward main road. She lives in HoiAn unless there is a room available in her houses. She gives back to the village by taking the school. She started 4 years ago with 20 students and she now has 150. An Aussie guy, Colin came and he was from Sydney and he and his wife stay in Hanh’s cottages several times a year. He gets flights from AirAsia to KL and then direct to Danang. He supports the school by helping with costs for materials and desks etc. by now we had about 8 ladies and we started teaching Animals. We had about 10 on the board and one of the kids had drawn pictures next to the words. I again was asked to be out the front. It was very enjoyable. Another guy turned up partway through and I spoke with him after. He was Robin and he was from NZ and he was building a house just up from the school near the beach. He invited me to come and look anytime. Would be good to have a chat with him. I headed back and picked Kevin up to go to Vang and Duc’s for tea. Tonight we had BBQ pork, beef with cabbage, pork rib curry and rice. Again plenty of Larue Beer. Duc came home after taking a tour to My Son. Tri fitted mirrors to the scooter and I was a little happier being able to see what was coming from behind. Vang asked us to eat with them again every night she is free but we will limit it to twice a week as we still want to experience other foods in HoiAn. Im very touched by the offer as it comes from the heart and she is trying to save us money by eating with them. We discovered that we both have a little pink colour to our bodies from being in the sun at the beach. Kevin of course more than me. 

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.