Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 7 – 7th May 2015 – Market Day and shopping

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 8 May 2015 | Views [344]

Decided to have a sleep in and not go walking. Caught up with Jo Fowler and got her contact details as we will try and catch them again in Hoian for a meal. After breakfast we headed out to Dong Xuan Market which is a 3 level market selling all sorts of wares. We changed some money at the Gold shop at No 130 Hang Bac Street. I sent Kevin off on his own as I need to do some serious bargaining. I bought North Face money belt VND $150k, Kipling Bag VND $120k, 6 x birthday cards VND$110k, Adidas Cap VND$60k, North Face Bag VND$150k. Kevin bought an Adidas cap as well. We wondered back toward the hotel and looked at having a massage or pedicure but it was too expensive. Kevin wondered off on his own again and I headed to the other Supermarket on Ly Thai To Street. It isn’t as good as the one on Le Thai To Street but I managed to buy a few more things. After lunch we watched a movie and while I was still trying to get my Caliber library re-established on the computer Kevin went for a walk around the Lake. We decided to try the local street food again and asked Ms Jan for her recommendations. We set off to No 20 Hang Bo Street for Banh Xeo, savory pancake. Kevin was very skeptical but he did go in and try it. It was good but a little oily. Cost VND$20k each. From here we went to a stall to try Banh Cuon at No 14 Hang Ga St but when we got there the rice paper with mushroom filling didn’t meet Kevin’s high standards. We then walked back to No65 Hang Dieu Street to try the Bun Bo Nam Bo which is dry Beef Noodle & vegetable soup.  Cost VND$60k each. It was very filling and we both enjoyed it. There were many nationalities sitting in the laneway eating this specialty dish. We were going to go and have the Pork Porridge again at Ly Quoc Su Street but we were quite full now. Kevin wanted some mixed fruit, similar to what we had had the previous night with Hanoi Kids but we couldn’t find the right street so had to settle for an ice block. We headed back to the Hotel and told Ms Jan that her recommendations were spot on and that we had enjoyed the experience.

Tags: hanoi street food

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.