Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 152 - 22nd September 2014 Head Winds on Nullarbor

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 27 September 2014 | Views [462]

Day 152 22nd September 2014 Monday. Got up and ready by 6.30am again but the winds are stronger and even more of a headwind. We talked about it and decided to go to Eucla which was about 200km away. We stopped for fuel at Eucla which is situated on the top of a hill and oh boy was it blowing a gale. The dust was just swirling around. We have been sitting on a top speed of 80km/h. Just a bit further along was the border crossing back into SA and we had to put our watches forward another 45min. We kept on for another 170km until we got to Nullarbor Roadhouse and put only 28lt as it was $1.99/lt. As it was nearly lunch time we kept on to ‘the head of the bite’ and had lunch here and then we went through the visitor centre to the whale watching platforms and boardwalks. There were a number of whales just off shore and we watched for about an hour before getting back on the road. We kept on for another 25km until we came to 222kPeg Rest Area. We pulled in and there were 4 other vans already here. It was now 3pm so we proceeded to find a spot among the trees and to try and get out of the dust and wind. I set up while dad was still manoeuvring around a tree stump when he hit it with the side of the van and damaged the off side wheel arch and mud guard area and put a 2ft scratch down the side of the van. Mum was not happy and she let dad know it for the rest of the day. It was an accident and I just said it would be another insurance claim. This is why we have insurance. I will need to lodge it when I get around to doing the one for the weber. We have only come 300km today but it has taken us over 7 hours.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.