Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 139 - 10th September 2014 Wave Rock

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 11 September 2014 | Views [380]

Day 139 10th September 2014 Wednesday. Got up early and stored away most of the gear before 7.00am. Emptied the toilet in the dump points that are at each caravan site. Have never seen this before. We left at 8.00am and to Kondinin where they had some unique metal constructions depicting the early days I the town. Was interesting. We then went on to Hyden ad to Wave Rock. There was a cost of $10 a car to the local shire to maintain the facilities. Wave Rock would be WA’s most photographed attraction. It is a spectacular granite formation reaching over 15m high and is thought to be 2,700 million years old. The wave is over 100m long and looks like an enormous wave ready to break and it is streaked with rusty red, ochre and sandy grey. We walked along the base of the rock and then climbed Hyden Rock near the dam that supplies water to Hyden. Mum and dad both climbed it which was no mean feat. The rock is massive and we only walked across a small part of it. They have erected a small wall near the edge of the rock to capture the water and direct the flow to the dam. Once down, mum and I walked to the unusual Hippo’s Yawn along the base of the rock. We even found some orchids – spider and donkey’s. We left Wave Rock at about 11am and headed toward Lake King where we stopped for lunch. We then travelled only a further 70km to free camp – Overshot Hill Nature Reserve which was a nice large flat area with gravel among the trees. It is only 9km from Ravensthorpe. Dad changed the oil in the 4WD and then we moved in among the trees next to a used camp fire. Mum and I hunted for wood and dad and I even used the bow saw to cut the larger pieces and we got a fire going. It was only 3pm so we sat around watching the flames and talking. I then remembered the stale marshmallows and so we toasted them.  They were nice and gooey and yummy. Sausages for tea and no TV so watched a TV series on hard disk.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.