Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 137 - 8th September 2014 Worst Day Ever - To Kulin

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 11 September 2014 | Views [315]

Day 137 8th September 2014 Monday. Rained overnight and was very wet and windy when I got up. There is a severe weather warning for the most of south west WA with winds expected to be up to 125km/h. Packed and on the road by 8.15am. Headed north with Kulin our goal today. The wind is north north west so heading into it all day. The wind was strong and it was difficult driving and keeping the rig under control and to avoid the swaying. Came across many grain trucks coming our way that were 3 trailers long and the road was not over wide. We stopped at 10.00am on the side of the road for morning cuppa and it was then that we discovered that dad had lost a bedroom window on the caravan. The wind had totally taken it out and it was lost. The screen was still intact but damaged. The blind was threaded and will need to be thrown away. We surveyed the damage and taped the screen to secure it and on the inside we taped the green bowling turf and the metal BBQ shelter into the window. This took over an hour of time and so we kept on to Lake Grace for lunch and to try and find some plywood. While I got fuel dad went to a carpenter who secured a plywood board into the window to help keep the rain out. The wind was still vicious and rain was coming and going. We left Lake Grace at 2.00pm and continued onto Kulin which is 70km away. It took over an hour in a headwind to arrive. The caravan park is fantastic with cement slabs. We rang the number on the wall and the lady came to collect the fee. We booked for 1 night but will probably stay 2. It was now 4pm and I was buggered from a very strenuous day of driving. It is the worst day so far on our trip. The storm finally hit during the night and the van shook.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.