Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 103 - 5th August 2014 -36 Garfish

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 6 August 2014 | Views [365]

Day 103 5th August 2014 Tuesday.  Decided to go fishing today so we set off for Eagle Bluff at 9.00am. Eagle Bluff is 25km from Denham and osprey nests in the area. There was a 200m boardwalk on the edge of the cliff overlooking the shallow waters of Shark Bay Marine Park below. There were two small limestone islands offshore that were once mined for guano. No fishing opportunities here. We headed back down the road and took a track off the side. Found ourselves around from the bluff and we threw a line in. Was very windy and we kept catching sea grass on our lines. We pulled up and headed back toward town. Called in at Ocean Park on the shoreline that has a Marine Park aquarium that you can visit. Also a restaurant and shop area. By now it was 11.30 so we headed back to Denham and stopped at the jetties. Kevin and I threw a line in quickly but did not have the right rigs. They were catching garfish and bream. Headed back for lunch and set up our lines for garfish. Dad and I headed back while Kevin said he was going for a walk and mum was resting and would come down later. We started on the third jetty as there was a large fishing vessel on the middle one where everyone was this morning. We kept catching these prickly fish that are throw backs. After a little while the boat left the middle jetty and so we headed to the end of it. Threw in and caught some straight away. Kevin turned up shortly after and luckily I had put his rod in the car as he said he didn’t want to fish. Kevin had one within minutes. We had a successful afternoon  and caught 36 garfish in total. While dad and Kevin were filleting them I went onto the third jetty and tossed a line in. Caught 2 but didn’t have a bucket so let them go. While we were there a dolphin was chasing the garfish and eating them. The large birds were also chasing the garfish who were shooting across on top of the water trying to get away. It was a fascinating sight to see. Gave some of the fish to Julie and Ian and we kept 5 fillets and dad froze the rest for Aaron. Uploaded some more books on Julies Kobo. Early night again.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.