Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 102 - 4th August 2014 To Denham / Shark Bay

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 6 August 2014 | Views [384]

Day 102 4th August 2014 Monday. Packed and on the road by 8.30am headed to Denham / Shark Bay. Kevin still under the weather. On the way we stopped at Shell Beach which has similar hypersaline water as the Stromatolites and this environment allows Hamelin Cockle Shell or Coquina shell to grow. Trillions of tiny shells have accumulated up to 10 metres deep and 1 km wide forming a beach made of shells stretching 120km in the L’Haridon Bight. The shoreline of Shell Beach gives way to crystal clear water of the most intense greens and blues. We saw the Project Eden fence designed to keep feral animals out of the Conservation area and the fence runs from one side of the peninsular to the other. We continued on to Denham and Shark Bay Caravan Park. We managed to get seniors rates which was why I sent Kevin in to do the booking. Set up and had lunch. I had a chiro appointment so I left Kevin laying down while I went. I then did some exploring of the small town by walking and looking at shops etc. Called in to Post Office to pick up the door lock which had arrived. Went over to the jetty area and saw fishermen catching bream and garfish. Called into Discovery centre and bought a pass to Monkey Mia. The coast line is a sweeping bay with white sandy beaches, shallow waters with boats and yachts moored and then deeper dark blue water with reedy bottom. Dropped into the bowling club on the way back and was impressed by the grass green and facilities. They had held a carnival for the past 2 days. Bugga, we missed it. When I got back we set up our fishing rods for the next day. Put the new door lock in but found that the door jamb was not flush and the lock could not be engaged as there was a gap. Finally used a small piece of metal from dads tools to insert in door jamb and this was enough to enable us to engage the lock. Another thing I will need to report to Camerons. Had met our neighbours Ian and Julie who are from Maitland NSW and so we had drinks and nibbles with them. Interesting couple – Ian had worked in management in a local mine and Julie as a teacher’s clerk. Uploaded some books to her Kobo.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.