Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 101 - 3rd August 2014 To Hamelin Station Stay

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 6 August 2014 | Views [371]

Day 101 3rd August 2014 Sunday. Packed and ready to leave by 8.15am for trip to Hamelin Station Stay. Kevin not well today as he has a head cold. Strong head winds that effected fuel consumption and needed to stop for fuel at Overland Roadhouse which is on the turnoff corner to Shark Bay. Arrived at Hamelin Station which is only 30km from turnoff around 11.00am. The property is a working sheep and goat station and they have set up 30 non powered sites near the kitchen and dining area. The amenities block is brand new and it is the best we have come across to date. It sparkled. After lunch we headed toward Hamelin Pool and the Telegraph Station which was not open due to toilet problems. There was going to be a tour at 5.00pm but we didn’t think we would come back. We walked up to the shell block quarry. Large deposits of cockle shells have settled on the shoreline many metres deep. Rain washing through the shells has caused them to cement together. Early settlers to the area cut blocks from the shells to be used as building material. From here we went to the stromatolites which are living the oldest living fossils on earth. Stomatolites grow in the extra salty water at Hamelin Pool and a broadwalk has been erected to allow visitors to view them without causing any damage. When we got back Kevin laid down while I went to explore the station. Walked through the shearing shed and down to the wetlands area where there were many birds. Was very pretty. Kevin was still laying down when I got back and so I listened to the last quarter of the footy. Port lost to Collingwood. We headed down to the dining / kitchen area for happy hour and sat and talked with people for quite a while. Spoke with a couple who were from loxton and had retired to a retirement village in Mildura.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.