Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 40 - 2nd June 2014 Purnululu National Park - Northern Walks

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 3 June 2014 | Views [388]

Day 40 – 2nd June 2014 Monday. Headed off at 6.45am on dirt road that restricts access to 4WD vehicles only and single axle off road or heavy duty trailers, caravans. It is 50km to the Visitor Centre and it took 1 hr 35 min to get there. We went over 14 creek crossings. Was lots of fun. The road was very corrugated in places and the max speed is 50 kmh. There were plenty of fools doing more than this as they zoomed past us. Was not very comfortable following another vehicle as the dust was bad. Once at the Visitor Centre we registered and got our map and a plan for the day. We headed to the Northern part of the park and parked at The  Bloodwoods. We did the Homestead Valley walk which is 4.4km return trail that cuts deep into the range. From here we went to the Bloodwoods Lookout which was very tame. We then travelled to Echidna Carpark and did the Echidna Chasm walk which is 2 km return. We climbed over lots  of river bed stones and ended in a spectacular long narrow chasm, with striking colour variations on the walls depending on the angle of the sun beaming into the chasm. We waited half an hour for the sun to be directly over. There were livistona palms waving from 200 m high ridges above us. On returning we then did the Osmand Lookout walk which is only 500 m return and takes in the grandeur of the Osmand range and the sweep of Red Rock Creek as it drains into Osmand  Creek. The views were sensational. We got back to the car park at 12.45 and saw Chris and Julie sitting eating lunch so we grabbed ours and joined them. We sat and chatted for a good hour as we had completed our walks for the day and they were about to go into Echidna Chasm. We parted and headed toward our accommodation at Bellburn – East Kimberley Tours Campsite. We stopped at one last lookout – Kungkalanayi Lookout which had 360 degree panoramic views of spinifex covered ridges and the western escarpment of the Bungle Bungle Range. This was exceptional. Arrived at our camp by 3.00pm and shown to our tent. Consisted of twin beds and nothing else. We opened the sides to allow some air flow and then headed to the kitchen for a cuppa. Only 4 guests for the evening. Peter and Bridgette from Switzerland. Sat and chatted with them and staff (Bruce Wallace a journo, Sharon a cleaner from Ireland and Will who was cooking dinner). Dinner was nice and plentiful, steak, chicken and veggies followed up with apple pie. Kevin was duly impressed except his steak was not cooked enough. Went to bed early and fell asleep as soon as light turned off. It was only 8.30pm.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.