Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 35 – 28th May 2014 Wyndham

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 29 May 2014 | Views [287]

Day 35 – 28th May 2014 Wednesday Headed off towards Wyndham which is the north most town in WA. On the way we stopped at Marlgu Billabong which was fantastic. Kevin made the comment that this is the best thing he has seen in the 6 weeks we have been travelling!!! The birds were many of different species. We sat in a hide to watch them. Spent about 1 hour just looking. Then headed to Bastian Lookout which is 320m above the town of Wyndham and allows you to see the five rivers – Ord River, Forrest River, Durack River, King River and Pentecost River. It was a fascinating sight. From the lookout we could also look down on the Port of Wyndham where they were loading ore onto barges in the river. Kevin was fascinated by this. We drove down to the port but were unable to access the jetty area as it is private property. We left Wyndham and took King River Road to Moochalabra Dam which dams the King River upstream. We had lunch under a massive boab near the dam. We then went to the Prison Boab Tree which is a tree that has been carved out and a long time ago the police put prisoners in the tree. Not a very big space. On the way back we stopped at The Grotto which was spruiked as a lovely swimming hole at the base of 140 steps to a gorge and waterhole. We were all excited as it was hot and were looking forward to a swim. Dad even came down the steps but ALAS the water was very stagnating and no one was game to get in. We came across Diversion Dam on the way back into town but did not stop. Kevin decided that he still had some energy so he went for a walk.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.