Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 31 - 24th May 2014 Lake Argyle Sunset Cruise

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 26 May 2014 | Views [394]

 

Day 31 – 24th May Saturday.  Up early and off for a walk at 6.45am. Headed off on the St Georges Terrace (The Bluff) walk which takes you up and around Bamboo Cove and out onto the bluff on the opposite side of the water to the Caravan Park/Resort. Track was not well marked and at times had to study the terrain to see if there were any other tracks, and look for the odd paint splattering for guidance. View from the Bluff was good as you looked back at the Dam Wall. Took 1.5 hours and on getting back I headed to the pool for a dip. Kevin decided to wash the 4WD and so I got him to add the fuel from the 2nd jerry can before he tackled the car. Kevin then offered to wash the caravan floor. Of course I told him to go ahead. We were booked into the sunset cruise on Lake Argyle that started at 2.15pm and before this we headed to reception to watch a video on the dams construction. It was very interesting and to think that a Government in 1969 had such forsight is fantastic. Our past and current Governments couldn’t look past their 4 year terms to agree on such a massive undertaking. It cost $22M at the time which is said to be $230M in todays dollars. The cost was so low as they had minimal material costs as they used what was around them. The cruise was amazing as we went from the dam wall, out through the heads into Crocodile Bay and then onto the Bay of Isles. Went past the largest island, Hagan island (7km long)  and did some Wallaroo spotting. This island is near where the original Argyle Downs Homestead was located. As the sun started to set we stopped in the middle of the lake to enjoy a swim, of course we all had noodles to stay afloat. The skipper threw beers and wines to us in the water. Imagine us bobbing along drinking a beer. Out we got for cheese and nibbles and to take photos of the setting sun. The colours of the red cliffs reflected on the amazing blue waters of the Lake. It was a picture perfect way to end the day. On returning we grabbed a quick meal as the footy was on and Port was playing Hawthorn. Port won, so Kevin’s day was complete.

 

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.