Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 27 - 20th May 2014 Katheine Gorge

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 26 May 2014 | Views [339]

Day 27 – 20th May 2014 Tuesday.  Headed off at 8.00am to Nitmiluk National Park - Katherine Gorge which is 30km from town. We boarded our boat along with 50 other tourists to take a 2 gorge trip. The gorge actually consists of 13 natural gorges carved through sandstone by the Katherine River, with rocks and boulders separating each gorge. Our guide provided commentary explaining the history. The gorges have been sculpted from sandstone bedrock over millions of years. They are magnificent, I cant say anything else. Once finished we decided to do the Baruwei Loop Walk up to the lookout with views of the picnic area and along the first gorge and then along the escarpment and back down towards the visitor centre. This took 1hr 15mins and was quite strenuous as the temperature was hot.  We briefly went into the Visitor Centre to have a look around. Back to the van by 1.00pm. Decided on a quick dip in the pool to cool off. The water was cold. That’s all I can say. It was very refreshing though. Late lunch and then Kevin headed to the Museum where he spent 2 hours catching up on the history of the WW11,  telegraph station and the floods in 1998 and into town to do some shopping. I stayed back and was trying to organise flights etc for Aarons Wedding in March in Margaret River.  Not much luck. Kevin had cut up a pumpkin before leaving and so I made pumpkin soup for tea. We are running all our fruit and veggie down as here is a quarantine station on the WA border which we will hit in 3 more days.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.