Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 19 - 12th May 2014 West MacDonnell National Park

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [357]

Day 19 – 12th May 2014 Monday. Kevin up early and off for a walk / run into town area along the Todd. After bacon and eggs breakie we headed off just after 9 am to explore the West MacDonnell National Park area. Drove out to Ormiston Gorge first which is 135km. There is a waterhole that can be up to 15m deep in places and it is framed by sheer 300 m high cliffs. We took the Ghost Gum Lookout Walk and loop which is a 2.5km walk that goes to the lookout and then loops around to the waterhole and back. Mum came to the lookout which in itself has amazing views of the Gorge. The walls are the tallest we have seen to date and just majestic, I can’t describe it as it took my breath away. Mum turned back but Kevin and I continued on the loop trail which winds around the slopes of the gorge, descending to the floor of the pound. We got to the bottom of the gorge and took our shoes off to cross an area that was about 10 m across. We were about to put our shoes back on when another couple came toward us and said that you couldn’t get past the actual waterhole back to the start point unless you clambered over the rocks along the cliff face and then stripped off and jumped into the waterhole where the water was chest high as they had seen a guy just in front of them do this. We decided that we were not prepared for this so turned back again across the water and put our shoes on and started on the climb back to the lookout and down again. We then walked to the waterhole which was only 5 mins from where the car was parked. Very enjoyable place. We had lunch and then headed to Orche Pits and this was also amazing but our photos did  not do it justice as it was overcast. We then went to Serpentine Gorge but as we were travelling down the dirt road we came to a small flooding across the road which meant we had to go through it to continue. Kevin was adamant that he didn’t want the car to get dirty!!!! We turned around and headed to Ellery Creek Big Hole which also was down a dirt road. Made it safely there.  There is a large waterhole that is framed by steep walls and it is like an oasis. Very popular place to swim and picnic as so close to town. Kevin was taken with the couch grass growing everywhere. Ran into some people from Mt Gambier. Kevin Walters who actually bought the butcher shop from Gary. Dad saw a melon growing and he and Kevin decided it was a watermelon and they were going to have it. It was picked and taken back. Headed back to town then and went to Desert Dwellers to see if we could get the Sandalwood & Rosemary Fly cream. Was a great little camping store but no cream. Will have buy down the street at inflated prices or look to get some mailed. Bought a deflapper kit and some mosquito fly net (to put over food when cooking outside to stop the bloody flies from enjoying my food). Also bought a couple of bucket hats. I now have a fettish for hats. Dad tried to get the part for the jockey wheel but did not have either here or across the road at a caravan place. Got back after 4pm and then Kevin wanted to set up the foxtel because there is a game on tonight. Well as I said we are in a shaded park with lots of trees and could not get the signal at all. Gave up after 45mins. Now I can have a drink. No I had to go and book in for a further night. Finally sat down for first time at 6pm and had a southern comfort. Kevin was in charge of cooking sausages on the weber. Did a good job too. Closed all the hatches and windows as it is going to be chilly tonight.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.