Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 17 - 10th May 2014 - Kings Canyon to Alice Springs

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [314] | Comments [2]

Day 17 – 10th May 2014 Saturday. Up and ready to go just after 7.30am. But then disaster struck as Dad’s jockey wheel bolt collapsed and the bolt bent. Had to use our jockey wheel  bolt to enable him to get his van up onto his tow bar. Will need to get a replacement bolt in Alice Springs.  Got away at 7.50am. Stopped at the Lasseter’s Highway turnoff for a cuppa and then onto Erldunda on the corner of the Stuart Highway for fuel. Only put 40 lt due to $2.10 price tag and it is now only 200km to Alice. Stopped at Finke River Rest Stop for lunch. Area filled up quickly as more travellers pulled over. Still no phone service. Just after lunch we were able to pick up the radio and Kevin’s Port Power were playing Freeo. Only got service when we were 20km from Alice and started to ring various parks to see if we could get in anywhere. Well appears Ulysses doesn’t start until Sunday/Monday and all the bikers are in the parks until they can get into the showgrounds facilities that have been arranged for them. Finally rang Wanngardi Park and they had a vacancy. Is right on the foothills of the ranges as you come into town, 15 km from city centre. Down Ilparpa Road about 9km. Not a lot of comments on WikkiCamps but all positive. Well the grass, no not grass, lets say weeds were 2 ft tall in places. The owner Michael is a very friendly chap and very accommodating. They have about 20 permanents and only 2 or 3 other short term stayers. I did my first real reverse parking using the technique taught on Tow-Ed course and all went well. Fortunately the sites were large and wide. Couldn’t really go wrong. Booked for one night as believe we should be able to get something in town. We had passed another park  just down the road so after unhitching mum and I went to investigate. It was called Temple Bar Caravan Park and it actually looked like a caravan park. Cost $21 a  night plus electricity by metre. Tried to book for the next 4 nights but no room. Came back and finally found a site for us at Wintersun Caravan Park for 3 nights with option to extend. When mum and I got back another van had pulled in right next to us. Starting to look a little over crowded. Next thing a chap turns up with a whipper snipper and cuts the guy next door weeds. Had to close the windows to stop dust and pollen getting in. Went and spoke to Phill and Janet next door who are from Tasmania and on the road for 2 years. He says he went to Michael the owner and asked for the use of a lawn mower to cut the weeds and of course it was broken. Michael brokered a deal with another tenant to do the whipper snipping. I said “What about us?”  Showers and toilet block very clean and tidy. If you look past the weeds the actual location is fantastic as the birds and wildlife is obvious. Took a photo to send birthday wishes to Shauni in America. Happy birthday. Sat outside and had a drink or two before tea. Left overs.

Comments

1

Love your travel log, it, just like being there. Don,t like leftovers though.

Keep safe & bon voyage.

  Sandy & Wiert May 12, 2014 1:50 PM

2

Thanks Sandy & Wiert. Are having a great time. Haven't had much of a rest though ad am looking forward to just stopping and doing nothing. You know, like Bali & Vietnam. Cheers

  wendyandkevin May 13, 2014 2:23 PM

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.