Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 16 - 9th May 2014 - Kings Canyon Rim Walk

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [319]

Day 16 – 9th May 2014 Friday. Up and ready to tackle the Kings Canyon Rim Walk at 7.25 am which is 6.0 km. Before leaving I prepared our tea – Lamb Shanks in the slow cooker. Today is overcast which is good for the walk as the first part is described as a strenuous steep climb and is only recommended for fit and healthy walkers. Bring it on!!  Surely this is Kevin and myself after the last few days at Uluru where we have walked miles. The climb started with 500 steps straight up a cliff to the top of the Canyon and then followed the rim around before descending again. About half way along we descended to the Garden of Eden, a beautiful area of cool waterholes and riverine vegetation. It is really amazing to think that this area was under water millions of years ago as the cliffs are made of sandstones. The Canyon walls are such a diverse structure with sheer flat walls in places and then stone on stone in others. Photos just don’t do it justice as you cannot get the depth and height perception. There were plenty of tourists doing the walk in tour groups and we passed 3-4 groups who were getting the history lesson. I overheard one guide saying it took 15 years to complete the Rim Walk track and that aboriginals worked for a cold beer a day to complete the job. In places you have cement holding the stones in place on the paths, dyna bolted signs and you thing How the F#ck did they get the materials here. Kevin went so far as to say this is the best walk he has ever been on. We finished the walk by 10 am. Mum and dad had done the short Kings Creek Walk so we went down along to meet them on their return. They thoroughly enjoyed it with mum identifying 12 plant species. Dad was just happy tagging along and stopping when he had enough. Kevin headed to the pool on our return but was put off by how cold it was and so just stood thigh deep. After lunch we had a lazy avo reading and filling the car with diesel from our cans. Fuel here is $2.33 lt. Had spoken with staff at the store and they recommended that we not tackle the Mereenie  Loop road  to the West MacDonnell Ranges and so we will take the long way back to Alice Springs being 470km which will take close on 6 hours with regular stops. Late in the avo (about 3.30pm) I was sitting out reading when Carol from Melbourne came over and says ”Is it too early for a drink”? No, I say and she asks me for a wine. Turns out they had gone to do the Kings Creek Walk in the avo after doing the Rim walk in the morning and on getting back they found they had lost the caravan key. Brian had headed back to look for it, so Carol needed a little support. Kevin meanwhile had again gone to the pool to cool off and this time actually went under. Brian finally came back and declared the key was lost. I suggested he ask Dad to help him break into his van. After only 15 minutes they were in and happy. Sat around until 6.30pm chatting and having drinks to celebrate their new found freedom. After tea Kevin decided he needed a TV fix so started watching about 6 movies but could not settle on one to watch. Gave up.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.